Sunday, December 25, 2011

been a while..

Figured I'd should update anyone that might follow this.  What's happened in the last 2-3 months?

Well I had my first pinball meetup at gameworks, which I thought went fairly well.  Feels like running a club (or even getting one started) is going to be a tough battle.  Seems most pinball collector/players just wanna play and fix their own machines (though I do have an un-official invitation to go see a guy's 16 pin collection down in aurora in about 2 weeks).  I don't think most people really realize the benefit of a club.

I also acquired my 3rd pin, a williams jokerz!
So far I've replaced the pinball glass (tons of scratches), touched up the cabinet paint (lots of cracks), gave the playfield a nice cleaning, and had to already replace the display.  The original kept crapping out, so I spent the $150 to get a modern LCD version (less power, will last 20+ years).  I still have some general illumination issues to work out, and although I have general sound, there is no music (error shows up during diagnostics), but it's not the roms.

I've decided I'm going to fix my 1968 bally gator as good as I can (going to replace the solenoid coil on the 1st player 2nd reel score), see if that fixes the issue I'm having.  Come next spring, it's going to a garage sale and I'm getting what I can for it (which will probably be at a loss).  It's a bit disappointing considering I felt like I had to fight to get it at $150 (non-working), and yet I can't seem to even get $200 for it cleaned up, rubbers replaced, bulbs replaced, contacts cleaned, flipper coils replaced.  I don't regret buying it, as it was a small investment, and I learned a lot as my first pinball, but I'm probably going to stick to pins I REALLY like (hence why I am completely restoring my space shuttle).

On that note, I'm also setting aside a pinball fund.  This is money that's not part of any paychecks, this is stuff I sell, side work I do, etc.  I don't plan on buying a pin soon because I know if I do, it will make me not want to work on space shuttle.  My next step is to figure out why sound isn't amplified.  Could be a bad pot, could be a bad amp chip.  Once I get that working, I am probably going to do a complete playfield swap.  This scares me, but at the same time I couldn't think of a better pin to do it on.  It's a fairly simple playfield (only one ramp, not very layered), and I will be motivated to finish it.

So in the meantime, I will keep saving up ($550 so far), and someday maybe I can buy a pinball that doesn't already have issues.  Ideally (my dream) would be to own an earthshaker or black knight 2000.  I remember playing earthshaker for hours and hours at a local arcade about a mile from my house.  Black knight was at an arcade much further, but I went there a lot and I remember how much I loved the soundtrack.

No comments:

Post a Comment