Saturday, April 6, 2013

Cabinet halfway done

So I ordered the decals from a website. What was nice is they let you upload your work ahead of payment so a proof can be completed. After I paid for it, I literally had vinyl printing with adhesive in 3 days (shipped from India of all places). $62 later, I have a tube of artwork delivered to my door. I was worried about bubbling putting it on after hearing horror stories of applying decals, but using a spatula it went on pretty much smooth. I still have to sand and paint the backbox (I have decals for that too), but now that the main cabinet is done, and the legs and siderails are painted, it's starting to look pretty good:

2 comments:

  1. Where did you get your decal printed? Are you happy with the resolution? What pieces did you get for $62? Describe the spatula process. Did you get clear vinyl for you translite? Thanks for any info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is the website I got them printed at:
    http://www.bannerbuzz.com

    It prints in india, but usually shipping is only about 4 days. $62 included two sides of cabinet, and two sides of backbox sides. I've also gotten some playfield overlays for about $20 each, and shipping for a tube is usually $7-10.

    For the cabinet art, I'm very happy with the resolution (They claim 1200dpi). The playfield overlay I got looks a little grainy in sections, but I think it's the artwork I sent. I used a spatula to help spread the sticker along as I slowly peeled away the backing, helped eliminate bubbles. One thing about these "stickers" is that they don't have much adhesive, so you definitely have to apply your own adhesive if you want it to stay (I ended up using wood glue, and not sure I like the results). I think next time I'll try using the 3M spray adhesive meant for wood and paper.

    I have not gotten a clear vinyl yet for the translite, but that's next in the process.

    ReplyDelete