Thursday, June 11, 2020

Custom cabinet preview

So again, I don't want to be that guy that reinvents the wheel.. but I also don't like the options for cabinets.  These are basically your choices:
* Find an old cabinet (because someone parted one out)
* Buy a virtual cabinet (which is pretty much only williams), and by the time you start adding all the hardware it gets very expensive
* Buy a stock cabinet from an existing pinball manufacturer like spooky
* Build one yourself (and pull your hair out because cabinet making is tricky)

I'm experimenting with a design where I 3D print a corner sleeve that the side slides into.  Since my 3d printer limit is between 8-12 inches it would be made in separate chunks.  I would print the hole section for the bottom, then fill the rest with whatever length (minus holes) for the rest of the gap.  The stock leg brackets would be what really ties the corners together.  I have some other corner brackets I found on amazon as backup if that isn't enough.

Here's what it will end up looking like (artwork would simply be offset from the corners by about an inch, but you only really see art for about 3 inches above the leg anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment