Friday, July 11, 2014

Got a new donor cabinet

So rather than trying to make my current cabinet work (which has no slant because it was built just after the EM era without ramps or 2nd levels), I managed to get a donor F-14 cabinet.  Granted it was free (and I'm grateful to my friend that gave it to me), it's so stripped it only has the side rails.  I'm gonna have to source a coin door (one on ebay for $5 right now), $16 on leg threads.  I may try to re-use the stern lockbar and lockdown mech since a new williams set is going to set me back a good $140.  I mean it's not ideal, but's not like I'm restoring a williams game, I'm building a custom game.  Standard width is standard width, so really any lockdown bar will do.

Spose it's better this way, all stripped so I can do this cabinet the right way this time.  I'm currently gluing the loose wood in the front with clamps squeezing them together.  Once that's dry, I'm going to attempt to use some bondo I bought a little bit ago.  Wood filler works ok, but it tends to be crumbly and doesn't always sand so well.  After I thoroughly sand it inside and out, I'm going to go through the trouble of priming first, more sanding, then final black coats.

Sort of sucks I'm having to not only redo the cabinet, especially the $60 in decals are going to waste on the cabinet.  I mean I'm not too bummed about that last part because honestly the bottom cabinet artwork isn't adhering so well.  This time when I do it, I'm not going to have any decals behind metal.  Heck, I'm not even going all the way to the edges, I'm literally doing a big sticker with gaps between any mating parts.  I'm also going to glue it down well so it stays stuck.

Anyway, here's the donor cabinet:
I'm realizing this cabinet is a good 4 inches longer, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but I have to adjust my playfield


I've also decided to JUST order a violin neck instead of an entire violin.  I figure it will be much more flexible if I simply make the violin body out of some layers of plywood and attach the neck.  I won't be restricted by size, and I'm not ruining a perfectly good $35 violin.  I'll still have to order some tuning pegs, but that can come later

No comments:

Post a Comment