Thursday, September 17, 2015

stand up target cherry switch - 3rd entry

Ok, so I started with a cherry roller switch for the ball troft drain, then I made brackets to mount cherry switches for the flipper buttons.  Now I just made my first cherry switch standup target:

It's a simple 1/8" x 1-1/2" aluminum angle bracket that I cut down to size, added some holes to mount the switch, and added 2 holes for mounting the bracket to the underside of the playfield.  There's really no side force, it's all inline force from the ball hitting it so I didn't feel like I needed the screws off to the side.  I had to drill a hole in the metal contact on the switch in order to mount the target face, but it wasn't terribly hard.  I made the face from polycarbonate (I may make them in the future from PETG, polycarb even in 1/16" thickness is not fun to cut), but this should hold up well.  I'm considering leaving it clear because I think rather than adding an insert in front of the target (which always wear bad), to simply backlight the target when hit (have a bulb socket mounted underneath it).  This should be much cleaner.

The aluminum channel is from mcmaster, I think I paid maybe $10 for a 2 foot long piece (only need 2" per bracket).  The switch is from allelectronics, and it handles up to 15A for just $2 each in quantities of 10 or more:
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/sms-196/spdt-snap-action-switch-w/lever/1.html

I've got 4 brackets total made so far, most likely going to use these for the keyboard first.  I've made pretty good progress on my layout, but I want to get further along before I do a playfield update.  In fact it's flowing so good, I think I had about a 5 minute ball time before I drained, and it didn't get stuck on anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment