Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Next revision

Ok so I cost reduced it down even more by making better hardware choices and cheaper metal (I believe a thicker 26-gage galvanized sheet metal will be just fine).  I didn't realize how expensive spring steel is (VERY), and stainless isn't that much better. They make pipe clip buttons out of galvanized steel so I know it has some springback.  Also I had some 28-gage galvanized steel at work and although it's a bit on the thin side, it functions well.  I already updated my 3d models, made some new 3d printed parts, and built a whole new assembly.  It feels decent, the leverage arm is increased so the force to push down on the switch isn't bad at all:


So the new price per assembly?  59 cents in parts (not including labor) at prototype volumes.  Before I go off and start having metal brackets waterjetted, I really want to test this out.  I plan on making a life test rig to see how many cycles this can withstand before something breaks, or something gets bent where it stops contacting.  I have 2 ways I can build this:
1. Get some U-channel (so the ball is guided), add the target on one side, and add a shooter lane auto launch mech at the other side.  Only piece missing is a delay timer to keep firing over over.  Luckily someone at work is an electrical engineer who recently built such a box to run some solenoids.  Basically I just need something that will kick on 50vdc for about half a second to fire the coil, turn off for 3-5 seconds, repeat.  This could get noisy however (I've seen pinball test rigs in person).
2. Start with a u-channel again, but this time mount it on top of a half circle, and connect it to a crank mech (sort of like a crib that rocks).  If I made it say 2 feet long, there would be enough space for the ball to gain speed from gravity as it rocks back and forth.  This is more mechanical, but then it would just be a geared motor running continously.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, great to see some new progess!
    Maybe you should add a hard stop behind the target to protect the switch behind?
    Lien vers mon image

    ReplyDelete