Saturday, November 14, 2020

3d printed cabinet - part 3 (well crap)

 So I built my cabinet thinking go ahead and make it standard width (even though my wood is only 1/2" compared to the standard 3/4").  As I start to layout the playfield and glass, I realize if I try to make this work, it will be nothing but a compromise.  Unfortunately the playfield glass sort of drives everything.  I can't go to a widebody glass because it would hang over the cabinet.  With a standard glass, in order for there to be enough support I would need to extend wood on the sides, or have some U-channel (which would still narrow the opening), which would force the playfield width to be standard size (and possibly have the walls next to the playfield instead of on top).  Again, this feels like a compromise.  I've got a pocket of nothing, for no reason.  I even tried arguing that I could have like a built in side panel for art, but not at 1/2" thick.


CURRENT CABINET


Soooo, the only good solution is to take apart the cabinet and make it an inch narrower.  Which doesn't sound terrible until you realize that means cutting the front and back, and then the bottom, and then the backbox panel I had already made.  I guess on the plus side, the cabinet will be 1" narrower without compromising the playfield width.  Since the cabinet is sitting in an area that's a little tight, this will only make things better.  I've already got aluminum angles for the playfield to rest on.  I'm going to do the same for the side rails.  I know I can buy standard side rails for less than $50. but cutting my own reduces that down to $15.  Besides keeping this on a budget, I want anyone in any country with access to basic building materials and a 3d printer to be able to assemble this.

UPDATED CABINET



No comments:

Post a Comment