Thursday, February 20, 2014

resolve one problem, a new one pops up

Feels just like my day job.. Well it seems I've found at least one source for good playfield wood (local wood suppliers just won't respond to emails apparently unless you have a corporate email address).  There's a guy on ebay from Missouri that has what looks to be exactly what I'm looking for, which is 7-ply maple plywood and the price seems pretty reasonable:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310249372131&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

My new problem, inserts.  Yea, you'd think those would be plentiful, but seeing how I had to beg CPR to send me a 1.5" triangle insert because nobody but Australia sells them, seems that aren't as easy to come by.  I would imagine big companies like Stern probably have a direct relationship with the molders that make them, but if you're looking for replacements (or in my case new ones to make a one-off pin) your choices are rather limited.  I'm starting to understand why Ben Heck used the rectangular clear inserts on his Ghost Squad machine, they seem to be plentiful on marco:
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/PI-112REC-CT

I'd like square inserts, but I want clear, and they just aren't out there.  I also don't like the insert above because it's got that triangular pattern like a bike reflector.  I really like the starburst pattern, it feels very retro and bright.  It would actually be easier if I used round inserts because I can cut out my own holes with a splade tool and a drill as apposed to needing to CNC route square pockets.  Problem is on Marco I'm limited to plain white ones, and they're giant (1.5").  I did find some nice 3/4" round starburst inserts on Pinball resource, only problem is you have to order $50 to establish an account with Steve Young, and there isn't a whole lot else I'd want to buy from him.  I suppose having a 100 inserts on hand wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but I also don't want to horde these.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think that you need to order $50 from Steve Young. He does have the weirdest way of getting payments, but it seems to work for him. Basically you order parts from him, he sends them to you with an invoice, and then you pay the invoice with a check. He doesn't accept any credit cards or anything like that. (He probably would take a money order).

    If you are having problems with getting stuff from him, send me an email, and we can figure something out. (I've already shipped to other addresses and they are great to work with.) Emailing them a list of parts is usually the easiest way. If you need specific information, calling them on the phone works well, because they know everything, but it can sometimes be a hassle if you don't know exactly what you want.

    ReplyDelete