Monday, January 5, 2015

Wires shall be my next challenge

I know everyone that is involved with building pinballs talks about wire management, and even those that work on it can imagine.  But until you start routing wires (more importantly wires carrying 48V at several amps), you realize how vital it is to not only manage it, but to make sure wires don't get crossed.

I am very fortunate in that the system I'm running not only allows the positive voltage to be daisychained, but the negative side is tapped into a daughter board mounted to the playfield (firing each solenoid is done by pulling it to ground using a thin wire).  Still, with that said, I would like to keep the wiring down to a single harness running up the playfield.  To help with management, I've ordered some cable tie mounts and re-usable cable ties to keep things nice and tight to the playfield
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008OC2EE6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AUB81DC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This will still allow me to pop wires out as needed.  I know if I keep stapling things, I'll eventually turn the bottom of my playfield into swiss cheese as I'm developing it.

My 48v power supply showed as shipped early this morning, but I haven't seen any movement.  I don't know if this means the seller created a label and hasn't actually dropped it off, or if USPS really does suck this bad at tracking (I had a 2-day priority package take 5 days during christmas, and showed up as on-time).  Now that I have flippers wired at 12v, I'm excited to see them at 48v.

I made this sketch at work today, which will likely make sense to nobody.























I'm also thinking about rethinking the boat.  I don't know that I want a solenoid mounted to a moving boat, nor do I want it flipping the entire time.  I may make the boat slowly rock forward and back automatically, and have separate buttons tilt the boat side to side, and simply make it a (keep the ball from draining) last ditch bonus game with a couple holes in the center of the boat.  It would be more akin to a labyrinth table.

It would also fit the lyrics a little better:

I want to swim away but don't know how
Sometimes it feels just like I'm falling in the ocean

Into the ocean, end it all

1 comment:

  1. I'll make a guess on the sketch. Top left is of course trying to figure out your wiring for the flipper buttons/48V voltage. The bottom ones are more difficult. I'm going to go with trying to come up with a way to get the boat to rock. I think that is the boat on the left while the right is a sketch of the mechanism to make it go up and down.

    Not sure what your current plans are for the boat, but you could have a pachinko style pins or posts where you try and get the ball to drop into a hole towards the tip of the boat. The edges of the boat are drains. That would be less of a full playfield than a minigame sort of a playfield.

    ReplyDelete