Tuesday, September 10, 2019

P3-roc powered up, skeleton game installed

So I'm still waiting for my 12v power supply, was supposed to be here last thursday but fedex is the worst shipping company so I might see it today.  Guess it doesn't really matter, 12v is typically just used for lighting/flashes/switches from what I'm reading.  So since I got my 5v 30a power supply (probably overkill for logic, but it was cheap), I wired up the 2-pin IDC connector, and fired it up.  Right away the blue LED's lit up, and I got a rotating pattern which I assume means it's functioning normal.

I installed Skeletongame as recommended by Scott Danesi.  He says mission framework is a little easier to get going, but it's more limited if you want advanced features.  I ran the demo, which is some color faux T2 game where basically your only functions are start game, and hit switches to add scoring.  I wondered if I hooked up my switch board and added a switch if it would translate that to the score on the PC.. I started reading through some of the documentation, and apparently by default it's set to be fake, but if you rem out one statement in the config file it becomes live with the board.

So my next plan of action is to read through the 6 pdf documents of getting a whitewood flipping from scratch, which looks like some forum that was saved out.  From reading other stuff, it looks like there are two config files.  One for the framework (IE all the standard coding like hit switches, lamps, coils firing, ball trough management, basic scoring), and then you have the "machine" config which is specific to your game.  This almost seems like it's turning raw python code into more of a basic language, spelling things out like start_button = start game, or left_button = left_flipper_coil.  Yet another thing that isn't explained in any documentation (but I have some knowledge of watching Ben heck videos over the years), you don't want to edit code in a standard word program, you want a true python editing program so that you get the color separation, and the suggested code as you begin to type something (which helps speed things up, not to mention avoids spelling errors which can break code).

No comments:

Post a Comment