Tuesday, January 26, 2021

back to basics - fan layout

 So rather than just randomly sticking things on a playfield like my first attempt (which only got me painted into a corner), I figured I would do what I believe most pinball designers do which is draw lines from the tips of the flippers to shots where the ball would end up.  In order to optimize space not only have I eliminated the shooter lane, but I'm drawing a fan of what I believe is reasonable shots that shouldn't be overly tight.. and I can work backwards from there.  If I know a ball is projected to go in this direction, I can create whatever I want that shot to be whether it's a ramp, a target, a mech, etc.  I'm likely going to tweak this a bit because I know I'll also want some shots that can only be made by bouncing off something else but this at least gives me a good start.  With this sketch I have an orbit on each side, 6 shots in the middle (most of them likely ramps), and 4 close target shots.

 I'm very likely to have an upper right flipper just like my first layout, which will have it's own fan layout.





No comments:

Post a Comment