Sunday, October 19, 2014

Expo review time

Ok, time for a break from the project now that I've engulfed myself with pinball this weekend (minus saturday).

The hobbit - Not a big fan of the the hobbit as a theme.  The playfield feels too open (which of course is to make room for the MM trolls that pop up from the plafyield).  The drop targets in front of the standup targets is a neat concept, but there's a mode where they keep popping up and down, which makes a lot of noise (which is actually quite annoying), I wonder if they'll get it to be quieter?  A lot of people were expecting the dragon to spit balls, but obviously this isn't the case.

The walking dead - Hate the zombie theme, gameplay was so-so when I first played it.  After getting 3-4 games on it, I've warmed up a little bit to the gameplay but I still think the pop bumper area REALLY slows the game down too much.

P3 galaxy lightspeed - Still disappointed by this title.  It's honestly turned into a virtual pinball game, nearly all the things to hit are virtual objects on the LCD (using the drop-down targets as nothing but stopping points to reverse the ball since the LCD tracks the ball).  I think this is going to be a really hard sell.

Full throttle - Super fast gameplay, you can't look away for a second.  This was actually a LOT of fun to play (reminds me a lot of Bk2k).  It's so fast in fact I often found the ball bouncing over walls (and flippers) which would get frustrating as a tournament machine.  Also the right ramp is really tight (like less than 1.5") which makes it REALLY hard to nail this ramp.  I found the action to be so fast that having the LCD screen embedded into the playfield made hardly any difference, you really couldn't take your eye off the ball unless you were cradling it.  The fact that the 2nd title is Aliens designed by Dennis Nordman, and there IS an option to just buy the playfield if you already own full throttle for less than $4k, this company has a bright future.

The big lebowski - Quite honestly the most beautiful, most impressive pinball machine I've seen in a long time.  The fact that a new company created 3 working (mostly) prototypes in about a year is impressive.  The artwork is superb, the music soundtrack and soundbites are great, the animations are great, the detail of the backlit stars on the apron is a nice touch, the bowling alley with the lighting under the roof (which looks very model train realistic) is nice, the car that swings out from the building as a bash toy looks great.  If I could possibly make a complaint about this game, it's that the rug is nearly impossible to see (I really hope they end up adding a spotlight, otherwise owners will surely add one themselves).  If I had $8500 (or basically sold almost every pinball I owned), I would so buy this machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment