Thursday, October 9, 2014

Got brackets?

I don't, at least not quite.  So I got my 3d printed brackets, yea not a whole lot better.  I mean it is, but I'm still breaking the parts just trying to clean them (which doesn't bode well for strength), so I gave up.  It wasn't a total waste, by modeling everything up I figured out what the minimal space was.. so then I went back to making aluminum brackets.  Once I got the band saw setup with guides, it went really quick to cut down the size I needed.  Then it was a matter of overlapping the 3d printed part over the bracket to mark the holes and drill it out.  I made left-hand and right hand versions for space constraints.
I still have to create the slots, but I don't want to cobble it with a drill like I did before.  I'll either beg the machine shop at work to do it for me, or I may have found a way to do it myself.  I own a drill press, but not a mill.  I had no idea a "cross slide vise" existed, effectively giving you x and y axis travel on a drill press:
http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-cross-slide-vise-32997.html

Granted you aren't going to have any precision (or measurement), but for machining slots and pockets by eye it's plenty.

The lockdown bar is nearly fixed (at least the plunger lines up with the ball now), but I may have to file the notch on the lockbar down a little bit (not quite latching yet).  Figured out what I want to do with the shooter rod cover, decided to put a mixing slider as the "reference scale" while still tying into the theme:


Once I get it officially mounted, and the standard V-groove cut out in the shooter lane, I'll finally be able to plunge the ball (albeit I don't have anything electrical hooked up yet), but soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment