Sunday, August 7, 2016

3d printed parts made, plywood cut, assemble time

So I finished printing my parts, I cut my plywood with basic tools (a 1/2" spade bit and a basic jigsaw).

My intention is to make starting a playfield (lower end) quick and easy.  I don't have a coil mounted to the bottom of the trough yet (soon), but from a geometry and structure standpoint it worked out fairly well.  A few things:
1. Holes need more clearnace than you think.  For whatever reason 3d printers suck at making holes, they are always smaller (shrinkage?).  And since by default slicers fill the inside with a grid instead of solid material you want to make sure your holes are sized appropriately
2. Try to make as few pieces as possible that will still fit in your printer.  I MAY be able to make the trough as one piece to simplify alignment.
3. Always make sure you have mounting holes for everything.  In my rush, I neglected to add mounting holes for the shooter lane part.

Considering I printed everything without support and the fastest speed, it turned out pretty well.  I think if I ran parts at medium speed, I'd get better quality.

To see a quick video, click below:
https://youtu.be/61cx1U71XZU

No comments:

Post a Comment