Wednesday, August 17, 2016

3d printed ramp

Getting a 3d printer (especially once you've dialed it in) can be quite liberating.  No longer are you fumbling around for "how the hell am I going to fabricate that?!", so long as you have solid modeling skills.  So for grins, I decided to model up a simple straight test ramp.  Basically a v-shape, cut out the bottom to save material and build time (since the ball only contacts in the middle), not to mention create an opening so it doesn't block the playfield so much.  Add 2 bosses on each side so I can connect multiple ramps together (my build plate is only 6"x9"), and realistically there's no limit to what I can build.  Did a test print last night, and it worked NICE!  I mean it's smooth, smooth like the monorail ramp on simpsons pinball party (just as I expected).


I just used some self tapping screws I had lying around (had to drill clearance holes on one side), but it's a pretty solid structure.  If I were doing real ramps, I'd probably use brass inserts and machine screws so it can be taken apart over and over (and probably an even better joint).

So now I can basically model my waterfall ramp just how I want it, make a cut every 6", add bosses, and print each section then join them all together.  I will get exactly the ramp I want without complicated metal fabrication.  Each ramp section costs me 84 cents to print!


No comments:

Post a Comment