Monday, March 9, 2015

VUK U - measure twice, cut twice (once on a scrap prototype, once on the real playfield)


So rather than going ahead and cutting a hole in my playfield that I've already put some work into (yea yea I'm not that far along, but still), I decided to mount my VUK to a scrap piece of wood (I'm also redoing my upper playfield, not as much work vested into that).  I want to make sure my hole size is optimal, I want to see how much space the switch needs, I want to see how high this coil will actually pop a ball.  I don't want to mount a VUK in front of the upper playfield if it's not even going to make it up there.  Anyway, so the used SEGA VUK I got from hillbilly pinball parts for $20 came out of a baywatch.  I actually have no idea it works, just assuming it does.  Heck, the bracket and rod+coil is worth the $20 by itself.  I can always buy a new coil or switch.  So it's mounted, I've hot glued some cardboard walls to channel the ball towards the hole.  At least the hard part is out of the way, here's a video:

*Oh, btw I swapped out my resistors for a smaller ohm (and a bigger cap) and my coils are much snappier now without the power supply failing*

Here's some pictures of the VUK assembly:





















1 comment:

  1. heh lol, i got a bunch of parts from them last year and I think they were all from a baywatch as well! (fantastic game btw, would be sweet to retheme as jaws, the baywatch layout is really fantastic).

    ReplyDelete