Thursday, January 30, 2014

sketch --> model - part 1

Ok so here's my first idea to think outside the box for pinball components.  I don't know this is completely revolutionary (baby steps?).  Most rollover switches are technically cherry switches, but they're the type that have the lever arms.  Lever armed cherry switches are typically more ($3), whereas you can buy pushbutton cherry switches for 25-50 cents all day long.  Sure I have a few more components, but I don't imagine those wearing out.  I have some concern about a panhead screw rubbing against the switch, maybe I should do a flathead screw.  Few nice things about this design:
1. eliminates costly lever switches
2. eliminates slotted holes for dirt to collect on top of the playfield because it acts like an insert (almost completely shuts off the top from the bottom) there's only the clearance of the post and the insert, which is fluted.
3. You don't have a bunch of fragile metal wires sticking out of the playfield.  It's a nice solid plastic piece that also looks nice (like a doorbell).

Anyway, click on the first photo then press the right arrow to sequence through to see how the ball pushes down on the switch



3 comments:

  1. couldnt you mod a star rollover to use a microswitch? I guess it would still collect dirt tho.

    ReplyDelete
  2. stu: yea I did think about the star rollover when I was brainstorming (I own a high speed), but yea... not only the dirt, I don't like how dated the star pattern looks. Not entirely sure I like what I have, but I still like it better than a star.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!
    Thanks for sharing this project with us.

    ReplyDelete