Sunday, June 22, 2014

Old playfield stripped

I'm realizing there's less parts I could use from the donor playfield than I realized.  I have completely new flipper assemblies which I'm glad I bought.  Old pinballs didn't have nearly the oomph, plus the mechs are probably pretty worn at this point.  I'm definitely re-using the trough assembly, doesn't seem like you can easily buy a new one even if you wanted to (at least not for cheap).  Going to re-use the sling mechs, but I'll be replacing the leaf switches.  Not going to have pop bumpers, and if I did I'd buy new ones.  Thought about salvaging the spinners, but they're usually a pain to work with.  I salvaged whatever screws that didn't have stripped heads, saved the dirty bands just so I have something temporary should I decide I need a wall.

I do have the flippers all assembled, in theory if I wanted to I could wire them up and start flipping, but it would be pretty senseless since there's no barriers.  At the very least I need to order the aluminum sheet to make the side walls.  I'd also like to figure out how I'm going to do the ball drain.  The trough I have actually fastens from underneath on the left, coming up to the top through a hole mounting to the top right.  I think to keep things simple (at least for now), I'm not going to have any ball save mode from the ship (like woz).  Once you drain, you get a chance to rack up some bonus points.  Eventually if I get some more channels, I may have a mode where if you hit so many targets, a door opens up that you can shoot into which launches the ball back onto the playfield.  I'd rather tackle that later so I don't get bogged down.

2 comments:

  1. Might want to verify the switch positions for the slingshots. Most of my pins, the switches are nearly halfway between the kicker and the post. If too close together, the switches are nearly redundant, and you may not get as much "action" on the slingshot. Congratulations on breaking past the first cut worries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yea ignore my sketching, the holes need to spread apart for leaf switches. I may end up creating a mech to use cherry switches (I hate leaf switches), we'll see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete